The new year is the perfect time to establish a new skin care routine, and stick to it. If you hadn’t thought of a resolution yet– you’re welcome! Follow these steps from the team at Summit Salon Academy in Gainesville to find the right routine for you, and you’ll be sure to have glowing skin by the end of the month!
Know your Skin Type
If you don’t know your skin type, it’s definitely time for a product overhaul. How your skin distributes oil, reacts to the chemicals in different products, and behaves in your climate are all key to product selection. So let’s find out, which skin type are you?
- Dry: Skin may be flaky, feel tight, and pores are likely small
- Oily: Feels oily all over
- Combination: Feels oily in the t-zone, but dry or normal elsewhere
- Normal: doesn’t feel flaky, oily, or too taut
It’s also important to know whether your skin is sensitive, because this will impact the type and amount of products in your routine. If you have a light complexion, you can determine this by brushing your fingers across your face with medium to light pressure, and if the area turns red then your skin is sensitive. Regardless of your complexion, you should also be able to tell by the way it reacts to products. If you tend to experience stinging or redness, your skin is sensitive. Also keep in mind it may be more sensitive now than normal, as skin tends to be more easily irritated in cooler weather.
Find the Right Cleanser
Now that you know all about your skin, you’re ready to start putting together your routine! Any impactful beauty routine starts with a cleanser, and it’s crucial to select one specific to your skin’s type and needs.
- Oily or combo skin: You should consider a gel or foam cleanser. Both are effective in decongesting clogged pores, removing excess oil, and killing acne-causing bacteria. The main difference is consistency– gel cleansers feel like a gel, while foam cleansers create a lather.
- Dry or sensitive skin: We recommend cream cleansers, which gently clean your skin without stripping it of its natural oils. These are usually thick and creamy, and include moisturizing ingredients like botanical oils.
- Normal skin: A skincare routine is just as important for people with normal skin, both to get in front of any potential issues and maintain good skin health. Most people with normal skin still experience intermittent issues with dryness, oiliness, and breakouts. Select a cleanser or two that targets the problems you experience most frequently.
Don’t Skip the Toner
Toner is something that a lot of people think they don’t need, because they don’t understand that it does more than give your face a nice glow before applying foundation. Toner is actually super important because washing your face strips the skin of its natural oils, causing its pH to drop and increasing its susceptibility to bacteria. Toner is slightly acidic, so it rectifies the imbalance and ensures your face doesn’t produce extra oil to protect itself from the other products you apply.
This may be shocking, but moisturizer does not need to be a part of your daily routine. If you don’t have dry skin it can be unnecessary, or you can find a toner that effectively moisturizes. If you do have particularly dry skin, you should apply your moisturizer after your toner.
Especially here in Gainesville, sunscreen is crucial to your skin health. There are many different options, and some even double as moisturizers!
If you want to look refreshed for the new year but don’t want to wait to see the results of your new routine, stop by for a facial or an appointment with one of our skin care specialists! We’re always happy to help, and can recommend specific products for your skin type. Give us a call at (352) 331-2424.